New Commission Policy for Approval of eCLE (formerly Self-Study) Program Applications
Any Accredited Sponsor or Approved Provider may offer eCLE (previously identified as "self-study") programs to members of the Delaware Bar, upon application and Commission approval of such programs.
To apply, an organization shall provide the following:
Accredited Sponsors - A Form 1 with required attachments and payment of $25 fee at least 30 days before the first scheduled date of the program.
Approved Provider - A Form 1 with required attachments and payment of $75 fee at least 30 days before the first scheduled date of the program.
eCLE Programs: Standards for Accreditation
An eCLE program is considered to be any organized program of study not personally monitored or administrated by the provider of the program and which does not take place in a live group setting.
- Only completely designed and finished programs will be considered for accreditation. Applications shall be made by the provider at least 30 days in advance of the initial availability of the course.
- When submitting an eCLE activity for approval, a provider shall provide information regarding the method of instruction, subject matter, and topical outline, as well as the object of the program.
- The provider shall indicate the actual length of the program and also request a specific number of credit hours for accreditation of the activity. The basis of the request should also be explained.
- Attendance information should be maintained and submitted in accordance with Rule 6(A).
- If the program is a recording of a live presentation, the original live presentation shall have taken place no more than two years before the date of the eCLE program presentation, consistent with CLE Rule 8(D). The normal approval range of one year may be shortened so as not to exceed this limit.
- The provider shall make the activity available to audit by one or more representatives of the Commission, free of charge or credit award, if requested by the Commission. This includes free license of software. If the provider wishes to have materials or software returned after examination, the provider shall arrange and pay for shipping of those materials.
- Application shall be made on Form 1 with all required attachments. The application fee ($25 for Accredited Sponsors and $75 for Approved Providers), payable to "Commission on Continuing Legal Education" covers all presentations of the same program within one year. The Commission may request any information in addition to that required by Form 1.
The following formats are acceptable eCLE in Delaware:
Online Seminars: Any type of seminar offered over a computer network connection, such as the internet, including live in a chat room, through an interactive website, or using streaming video or private networks (includes live webcasts, webinars, and on-demand programs).
Video Teleconference: Not to be confused with satellite seminars, video teleconferences require a telephone or other audio connection with a video component. This would also include desktop computer conferencing with a video component. Because the setting is limited to a setting with video conference equipment, this type of program is not subject to the restrictions imposed on teleconference programs (see below).
Telephone Seminar or Audio Broadcast: A program delivered to the attendee, live or recorded, over the telephone, or by other means providing only an audio connection. (The American Bar Association refers to telephone seminars as "teleconferences".) Many providers advertise the convenience of telephone seminars by mentioning that an attorney may participate from a cellular or car phone; however, the Commission is opposed to sanctioning cellular phone use while driving, for safety reasons. Attorneys seeking credit for attending a telephone seminar will be required to participate in a setting conducive to learning and may not receive credit for participation while operating a motor vehicle.
Commission on Continuing Legal Education of the Supreme Court of Delaware
The Renaissance Centre
405 North King Street, Suite 420
Wilmington, DE 19801