- Delaware Courts
Help & Support
Below is a list of some things that court staff can and cannot do for you.
Please read carefully before asking the court staff for help.
Court Staff Can
- Explain and answer questions about how the court works.
- Tell you what the requirements are to have your case considered by the court.
- Give you information from your case file
- Make you copies of court documents from your case file.
- Provide you with samples of court forms that are available.
- Provide you with written instructions and pamphlets on how to fill out the forms.
- Explain generally the different forms.
But, Court Staff Cannot
- Give you legal advice. Only a lawyer can give you legal advice.
- Tell you what is the best way to protect your interests for your case. Only a lawyer can tell you the best way to go about your case.
- Help you select which form you should file.
- Tell you what you should write on a court document.
- Tell you what options to choose on a form, but we can explain generally what are the options.
- Tell you whether or not you should bring your case to court.
- Give you an opinion about what will happen if you bring your case to court.
- Recommend a lawyer, but we can provide you with the telephone number of a local lawyer referral service.
- Talk to the judge for you about what will happen in your case.
- Let you talk to the judge outside of the courtroom.
- Explain an order issued by a judge, commissioner or master.